Sunday, May 15, 2011

Think Super Ghetto WinnDixie

I took my first outing into Port Moresby post coming to from my travel coma last night.  I went grocery shopping.  Culture shock does not begin to describe my hour in FoodWorld. 
Rachelle and Jon drove me home and needed to stop off to get a few things, so I tagged along.  From the backseat I waved to the guards as we drove through the gates breaking the high, barbed-wire-topped wall partitioning the buzzing parking lot from the rest of the action on the busy streets.  We were directed by lot guards who were seemingly unaware of the droves darked skinned people dodging and weaving in, around, and through the lines of darting vehicles all after the sun had set making it difficult to see everyone in their dark clothes as the parking lot was barely lit.  A fearless man practically dove between our vehicle and the next in an attempt to get across the lane.  This is common place on the main roads around here too. 
Inside of FoodWorld was no different.  Masses of people milling around – many barefoot.  An unclothed toddler hung on his mother’s dingy dress in hopes of not getting lost in the shuffle.  People stood in line to add credit to their electric accounts (like a pay as you go cell phone).  Others sent off mail at the windows lined with metal bars to allow only letters and packages through.  Once through the crowd and on to the actual food aisles I shuffled close behind Rachelle calculating quick currency conversions to the best of my ability, hoping not to step on any bare feet, and attempting to return every nod and smile thrown my way. 
Some food is significantly less expensive in PNG.  Other foods are beyond outrageous.  When you buy produce if it's imported it goes into a red bag (and costs a million dollars...for example a head of lettuce is imported and cost about 30 Kina which is a little over $12 US!  Lettuce is only imported, so you just pay for it.  If you buy local it goes into a white bag and is SUPER cheap...like $0.50 US for a bag of green peppers.  One major difference is that food doesn't need to be pristine here.  The produce is not just the perfectly ripe red apple.  All the food, bumps, bruises, and all is displayed and purchased.  Pretty does not mean tastey here.
Saturday I am being given a tour of Port Moresby and will find my way through the shops VisionCity, Brand Bell, and end with tea at the Crowne Plaza.  I have no more idea of what the two stores are than you; I just know I’ll be able to get a working hair dryer in one of them.  Every day is an adventure, or at least an experience, here in my new home.

No comments: