Tuesday, May 17, 2011

An International Math Lesson

Mental Math has always been a skill I placed great importance on, especially in the classroom, but it is one I place significantly more value on since moving to a foreign country.  I am working in three currencies currently - the American dollar, the Australian dollar, and the local currency in Papua New Guinea, the Kina.  As the lone American, I am the only one converting to the US$, but with enough Australians around to make one think they were actually in the Outback, knowing the approximate value of their currency as compared to both the Kina and the US$ has proven useful. 

Before evening diving into value, I must say that the United States short changed ourselves when designing our currency.  It is standard and green and boring.  Australians have fashioned their money to be colorful works of art and the Papua New Guineans have followed suit.

Basic Currency Rates at the Moment
(rounded to the nearest hundredth)

1 Kina = $0.41 US
1 US$ = 2.43 K

1 US$ = $0.94 AUS
1 AUS$ = $1.06 US

To make my math easier I round and say two and a half kina is about one US dollar and that the Australian dollar, for the moment, is worth just a little more than the US dollar.  With that, ten kina is about $4 US (just a little over) making 100K just over $40 US. 

Comparing the cost of items is a little scary.  Anything electronic or imported is astronomically high (like my 375K hair dryer).   Local produce is significantly less than the cost back in the States.  A half of a pawpaw (papaya) cost 3K, a few cents over $1 US - and they're giant and beyond delicious.  (I will no longer be purchasing pawpaw because Betti, the lovely older woman who cleans my classroom, grows it at home and will from now on bring me some so I can save my money.  She has insisted.  She will also be teaching Pidgin every afternoon while she sweeps my floor on her knees with a small broom made of dried palm fronds.  It is non-negotiable.  I came to her country and she believes she owes it to me to teach me as much as she can about Papua New Guinea.  I will be bringing back gifts for her when I go on break in a few weeks time.)

Australian Currency

Below are the notes in Papua New Guinea.  There are also 5K and 50K notes.  The coins with the hole in the center are 1K coins.  The change is called toya.  Toya are not used often, but I have a boat load of 1K coins already!



Cost of living here is high if one has an desire to live in a "Western" manner.  Electricity, cable, water systems, and housing is astronomical in comparison to much of the United States.  The "westernized" apartments in town run on average about 4,000K a week!  That's about $6,600 US for one month's rent.  These places usually have a community pool and a nice view, but other than that they are not anything super amazing.  Just basic accommodations. 

Eating out is very in expensive.  I went to dinner the other night and spent only 50K.  Anything that we consider common is a privilege that comes with a high cost here - internet, air conditioning, radio stations (You receive one complimentary station, but must pay for more.  Good thing I'm used to a lack of music in my vehicle!), hot water, electricity (it is pay as you go for most, like a prepaid cell phone), even shoes.  Shoes are very expensive here!  I will be stocking up on new sandals while in Australia at the end of next month! 

I will also be purchasing a George Forman grill because the one at Brian Bell here cost nearly 600K!  No thank you.  I can live on toast and scrambled eggs for dinner until then, right?!


Disclaimer: Double check my math if you are overly concerned with accuracy.  It's been a long day!

1 comment:

MommyLady said...

My other mathematician! AN to think of the hard time you gave me when you took statistics in High School!