I am perpetually late. I am very nearly late for work everyday. It's only by a minute or two and that was back when I had a job I was actually expected to show up for. I am late filing my taxes every year. I do always remember to file the extension in time though. I have been late for every date I have ever been on. I like to think of it as building suspense, despite being unintentional.
I was supposed to arrive in Port Moresby at the end of January. That makes me approximately three months late. At first, being late did not bother me; it usually doesn't. I looked at it as a little extra time with family and friends. A bit more time to enjoy the opportunity of acceptable unemployment. As time wore on, my enjoyment waned. I became frustrated with the daily questions of "Any word yet?" and "Get an update from New Guinea?" or my personal favorite, "Shouldn't you be gone?"
I have had paperwork issue after paperwork issue in this long process of getting my work permit submitted, approved, and activated in this third world country. It was finally done; on to the visa application. My paperwork is ready and waiting. I have been poked and x-rayed and examined. I am tuberculosis free, AIDS free, and not pregnant (all positive information for any dating prospects). I am also not a felon, have employment and housing lined up, and have been approved to purchase a vehicle in New Guinea (now I sound like quite a catch). All of these documents, along with a statement of why I want to live in Port Moresby, are in a nice manilla envelope in my navy blue work portfolio sitting on the table in front of me. These documents have been ready for what seems like forever. My portfolio has been up and down the east coast with me over the last few months - just in case. I am waiting to hear word from the Embassy in Washington D.C. that they have received, filed, and accepted the school's end of the paperwork, so I can submit my own lovely stack. I was told two weeks ago the paperwork was lodged with the embassy and it was "any day now".
I received emails a couple days ago from both my teaching partner, Greg, and my future principal, Suzanne. Both informed me that Suzanne has unexpectedly had to rush to Australia due to her brother being ill. Greg informed me that she is now on bereavement leave as her brother has passed. I don't want to sound awful, as my heart truly goes out to Suzanne and her family, but I am finding it more and more difficult to stay positive. I have been very frustrated the last few days with the not knowing.
At the end of January and most of February I was in a rut. A miserable to be around, grumpy, no good rut. I changed scenery, leaving New Jersey and heading south to DC and my sister, hoping to climb out of the rut. It did not work. I attempted to find a job to hold me over with no avail. Deeper the rut became. A rut that made me question going on this adventure to New Guinea at all. When my paperwork was finally received, filed, and accepted for my work permit, I felt like there was an end in sight. I perked up. I packed my bags. I made the rounds to see everyone just one more time (well at least everyone in the northeast). That was almost three weeks ago. I'm starting to loose sight.
Emails from Greg keep coming which makes me believe that they are truly expected my arrival at Ela Murray, maybe even "any day now". My paperwork continues to travel from couch to couch with me as to be ready to drive to the Embassy "any day now". My life is completely packed and ready to leave "any day now". I just wish that day was now.
1 comment:
Ugh, that totally sucks and I for sure know the feeling. Of course, I haven't had to wait as long as you but I do know the feeling of wanting to start your life! After getting married in Oct. Mike and I had to live in a hotel room until Feb. and then I had to stay at my mom's house until the end of May before I ever even got to open any of my wedding gifts and set up my house. I was SO ready to have my own home and be on my own schedule and not feel like I was inconveniencing anyone. I hope, HOPE, that you get your good news soon!
Post a Comment